There have been some incredible customs coming out of Argentina of late. Recently, we got in touch with the boys of Herencia Custom Garage—Federico Lozada and German Karp. “HCG” is an extension of Herencia Argentina, a menswear brand founded in 2009 that invests heavily in the country’s Custom Culture scene. They build custom bikes to order, as well as hot rods and rat rods. Man, I wish they were around when I lived in Buenos Aires!
Federico and German recently completed their 32nd build, and it’s nothing short of stunning. Project 32 is a BMW R100 scrambler built for Argentine clothing brand Von Berry, and it’s one of the sexiest R100 builds we’ve ever seen. When not building bikes, Federico the chief of graphic design studio CUBIK, and that eye for detail and design can certainly be seen in this build.
The bike has incredible lines, a perfect balance of blue and black and silver componentry, and a strikingly original, signature design element: that X-crossed exhaust! As Greig of Devolve Moto said, “X marks the spot!”
Below, we let Federico tell you the rest of the details.
Von Berry’s Custom R100: The Build
Federico sent us a rundown of the build in Castellano. Here’s our translation:
- The ignition was changed to a completely new electronic unit purchased from the Czech Republic.
- The lithium-ion battery was located beneath the swingarm.
- The exhausts were made from stainless steel in the form of a cross, each muffler snaking around the rear shock in order to keep with the skinny look we were wanting to achieve.
- The rear dampers are restored Ohlins units taken from a 1975 Husqvarna CR390.
- The gas tank is adapted from an ’80s Yamaha XT250 and includes a GPS speedometer.
- The seat is a replica of a Webco flat track unit bought from the US.
- It was difficult to create a BMW that really catches your eye, since there are so many these days that are so well done. We were very please with the finished project, and most importantly…so was the client!
Photos by Pablo Franco
Follow the Builders
- Federico and German on Instagram: @fedecubik and @karp_hcg
- Herencia Argentina: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Web
- Von Berry: Facebook | Instagram | Twitter | Web