If you follow the blog, you know we are big fans of the Kawasaki KZ650. The Honda CB series of the era may get more love and attention, but this “Son of the Z1” was a punchy, rev-happy, grin-inducing middleweight. We also have a soft spot in our hearts for father & son builds.
Enter twin brothers Jimmy and Mick of Kaspeed Custom Motorcycles of Saxony, Germany, who build bikes with their father, Karsten. We featured their Suzuki GS550 brat last fall, and now the father and sons team is back with another sweet little brat.
The base bike is a 1978 Kawasaki KZ650. Their customer, a doctor, did some basic modification on his own, but wanted helped finishing the build. Their vision was a “retro bratstyle bike with modern parts.” Here’s what they have to say about the design:
The brown leather seat stands out before the black frame for a retro look. The original gas tank gives the bike the wanted old school look. The new electronic components like lights, blinkers, tachometer and battery add a modern touch to the motorcycle. The boldness is created by the black painting of the forks, triple clamps, frame and wheels. The fork boots and well sized headlight add to this style as well. The bike is fully road-legal in Germany, where the regulations are pretty tight. You can read about all the modifications in the included list below.
To us, this is a prime example of an attainable, fun, and gorgeous custom bike that will turn heads and make friends wherever you go, and slash a grin across your face every time you crack the throttle. Supreme execution, timeless design, and and everyday functionality.
Z650 Brat: Build Sheet
- Custom fabricated rear frame hoop
- Cleaned out frame and electronic boxes placed under the seat
- Relocated ignition switch in the frame triangle
- Lightweight lithium-ion battery under the seat
- New brat style seat with custom upholstery
- cone air filters and ultrasonic cleaned, rebuilt and tuned carbs
- LSL handlebar + fitting rubber grips
- LSL fluid reservoirs
- New rear brake caliper and position
- Stainless Steel Braided Brake Lines
- Acewell tachometer located where the ignition switch was sitting
- Aluminium fenders and custom mounting
- New matte black retro headlight
- New black tail light and black Motogadget m-blaze pin bilkers
- custom licence plate holder
- Motogadget m.blaze disc handle bar blinker
- Fork boots installed
- Original gas tank paint to preserve patina and retro feeling
Follow the Builder