Cafe Racer SSpirit of Spain has become one of our favorite builders in recent years. Their build process is highly collaborative with their customers. They like to say they take a journey with their clients, from concept to execution of the rider’s dream.
This BMW R100R scrambler — CRSS #021 — is no exception. The client first visited their shop on his brand new BMW R1200GS — as it turned out, he wanted a vintage BMW to match his modern one, complete with aggressive styling and scrambler-oriented details: TKC 80 tires tires, enduro pegs, heavy-duty brakes, minimized controls, etc. He specified no fenders, as his GS would be the steed of choice in foul weather conditions.
The result is a beastly, burly R100R scrambler with aggressive lines and detailed execution. Below, we get the full story from Hugo López, headman of CRSS.
BMW R100 Scrambler: Builder Interview
• Please tell us a bit about yourself, your history with motorcycles, and your workshop.
• What’s the make, model, and year of the bike?
1993 BMW R100R. Very interesting model to customize: 1000cc engine, mono swing arm, Brembo brakes.
• Why was this bike built?
The BMW R100R bike was brought by a French customer. He visited us a while ago on his brand new BMW R1200GS and loved our builds. He wanted a bike to match his GS and he had clear the next bike had to be a BMW too.
• What was the design concept and what influenced the build?
The scrambler tyres were clear. He wanted an aggressive looking motorcycle, but which felt comfortable when riding. He also took care about the final details because he wanted a good looking and elegant bike.
Black color was also in his mind, but finally decided to keep the red BMW tank color (R100 Rs model tank in its original paint). The bike is without fenders because he was clear this bike will just be used when sunny.
• What custom work was done to the bike?
• Whole subframe
• CRSS seat
• 7-inch LED headlight
• Rizoma handlebar + holder
• Rizoma grips
• Adjustable levers
• Brembo brake
• Ducati clutch
• Rizoma brake fluid reservoir
• Domino twist grip
• Motogadget side front blinkers
• Simplified controls
• Enduro footrests
• Battery relocation
• Aluminum air filter cover
• K&N air filters
• Daytona speedo
• Integrated smoked taillight
• Side mirror
• Key starter relocation
• Engine side-guards back
• Fog light
• Side license plate holder
• CRSS aluminum logo in engine
• Heat resistant paint on engine
• BMW R100RS gas tank
• TKC 80 tyres
• How would you classify this bike?
Not quite sure! Scrambler we guess
• Was there anything done during this build that you are particularly proud of?
Simplified commands even in the headlight, choosing between inner circle or outer LED
Innovative material on the seat upholstery. 100% bike restoration, even the engine re-newed.
BMW R100 Scrambler Video
Follow the Builder
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/caferacersspirit/
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/CafeRacerSSpirit/
- Web: http://www.caferacersspirit.com/crss-21-bmw-r100r-1#new-page-1
- Photos: @hugolopezurt