Inspired by the world’s fastest, most dangerous snake…
In 2000, at the very outset of the 21st century, Honda introduced the CBR929RR — the fifth-generation of the Fireblade series of open-class sport bikes, and the first to wear the RR suffix. The 929cc machine boasted 152 bhp — the highest peak output in the class — along with a lightweight twin-spar aluminum frame and pivotless swingarm design. Said moto journalist Ron Lieback, who owns one of these machines:
“The 929 was everything needed back then, the size and agility of a 600 with the power/speed of a liter bike. And it had fuel injection, which placed it leagues ahead of Yamaha’s R1 at the time…” —Ultimate Motorcycling
Enter our buddy Francisco from Portugal’s Rusty Wrench Motorcycles — aka RW Motorcycles — a custom workshop, apparel brand, and brick-and-mortar store for bike lovers on the country’s lovely Algarve coast. For this build, Francisco wanted to build a futuristic machine based on one of the world’s most deadly (and beautiful) snakes:
“The Black Mamba is an aggressive and powerful snake, as well as this bike. We based all the colors of the bike on the real snake, which are black, grey and gold.”
Truly, it would be tough to think of a better bike to represent the crouched power and rapid strike of the mamba. The 929 has a custom subframe, tail, and seat; a handmade front fender and fairing, rectifier cover, license plate support, air intake, custom paint, and more.
Below, we get a few more details from Francisco about the build.
Custom CBR929: Builder Interview
• What was the design concept and what influenced the build?
I consider it a concept bike, which is a futuristic design.
• What is the story behind the nickname “Black Mamba”?
The Black Mamba is an aggressive and powerful snake, as well as this bike. We based all the colors of the bike on the real snake, which are black, grey and gold.
• How would you classify this bike?
• Was there anything done during this build that you are particularly proud of?
We are proud of the overall balance. The whole structure of it and the final work left us all very proud.
• What’s next for Rusty Wrench Motorcycles?
In terms of new projects, soon we will present you another bike “Bushido” — a tribute to Suzuki Katana.
In terms of business we are now focus on our clothes brand, exclusive of our store and trying to bring our business more and more online, as times demand. Check out our collection here: www.rwmotorcycles.pt/product-category/vestuario/
Motorcycle Brand/Model: Honda CBR929
Nickname: Black Mamba
Customized by: Rusty Wrench Motorcycles
The handmade parts were all done in sheet metal, such as:
- Rear cover of the subframe
- Front fairing
- Cover of the rectifier
- Air intake of the gas tank
- License plate support
CUSTOM PARTS AND OTHER CUSTOM WORK
- MOTOGADGET turn signals
- KOSO Digital Speedometer DB EX-02
- DOMINO throttle
- The levers are the original but took a special touch. The handlebar switches were replaced and the start button is now on the Honda symbol on the triple tree
- The front fender is from a Ducati
- The color of the motorcycle was based on the black mamba — two tones of black, gloss and matte, dark grey, and a little bit of gold
- The exhaust ends are SC-Project mufflers
- The seat is made in alcantara and leather
Follow the Builder