Lord Drake Kustoms builds a twin-cylinder tribute to the Spanish brand…
Francesc “Paco” Bultó founded Spanish motorcycle company Bultaco on an old farm in 1957. Paco had been the director of Montesa, which had experienced steady growth and racing success since its founding in 1944, but when a downturn in the economy hit the Spanish company hard, Montesa’s senior director — who was also the company’s majority shareholder — decided to discontinue the company’s racing efforts.
So Bultó struck out on his own, taking much of Montesa’s racing department with him. He formed a new company, Bultaco, whose name combined the first four letters of his surname (Bultó) with the last three of his nickname (Paco). In early 1959, Bultaco launched their first road-going motorcycle, the 125cc Tralla 101, and at the Spanish Grand Prix just two months later, Bultacos took seven of the top ten places — a legend was born!
Although the company continued to produce street and road racing bikes, Bultaco became especially well-respected for their off-road models, including those developed for motocross (Pursang), enduro (Matador), trials (Sherpa T), and flat track (Astro). Bultacos were nearly race-ready machines straight from the factory, and continue to perform well in vintage racing in several disciplines today.
Fran Manen of Lord Drake Kustoms has long admired this brand born in his native Spain. Though LDK customizes a wide range of makes and models, the Sportster has become a workshop favorite. So Fran decided to build a Sportster scrambler that would be a tribute to the Bultaco Matador enduro, roping in a buddy who owns an H-D dealership in Belgium.
The result is the “Bultracker 13,” a 1200 Sportster customized in the style of a giant retro enduro, complete with 21″ / 18″ spoke wheels, handmade tank and number boards, longer shocks, Supertrapp exhaust, and more. Below, Fran gives us the full details on this Bultaco-inspired scrambler.
Bultracker 13: In the Builder’s Words…
The Bultracker 13 is a Harley-Davidson Sportster Scrambler born thanks to the admiration that Fran Manen (owner of Lord Drake Kustoms) has for the Spanish motorcycle brand Bultaco. The transformation was carried out on a Sportster 1200.
This ended up being a customization project that involved both Belgium and Spain. Fran Manen had begun shaping the project, and about halfway through he contacted a good friend who happens to be the owner of Harley-Davidson dealership in Belgium.
The owner of the Belgian H-D dealership had long wanted to transform a motorcycle into a Harley Scrambler that would be a tribute to the Spanish brand. So when he saw LDK’s motorcycle, he decided to keep the project to finish it with Fran, converting this Harley -avidson Sportster Scrambler into the “Bultracker 13.”
This Bultaco influence is clear through the spoke wheels, the stylized handmade tank, the handmade front and rear off-road-style fenders, and the pair of Supertrapp silencers.
- Exhaust: Supertrapp 2:2.
- Air Filter: S&S.
- Handlebar: 1″ BMX style.
- Grips: RSD grips.
- Levers: Stock modified by LDK (handmade holes).
- Wheels: 18″ rear and 21″ front.
- Tires: Continental Off Road.
- Front Suspension: modified by LDK.
- Rear Suspension: shocks +2″.
- Front Turn Signals: LEDs by LDK.
- Rear Turn Signals: Bullet style.
- Speedometer: Stock with RSD bracket and gauge lights.
- Transmission: 530 gold chain kit with chrome sprockets.
- Fenders: Rear and front fenders handmade out of steel by LDK.
- Gas Tank: Handmade/Modified by LDK.
- Side Plate Numbers: Handmade with steel and aluminum grill by LDK.
- Frame Front Grill: Handmade with steel by LDK.
- Seat: Handmade by LDK (upholstery and seat base).
- Rear Fender Interior: powder coat red, pinstriping gold, and steel handmade number 13 by LDK.
- Others: Joker sprocket cover, internal electric wiring on handlebar, chrome and gold hand controls, H-D foot pegs.
Follow Lord Drake Kustoms
More LDK Builds