Iowa Motorcycle Insurance

Insure Your Ride

Review Rates and Policies Online

Enter Zip Code

From Mississippi and Missouri river runs to the scenic destinations like Council Bluffs, Iowa offers some great riding for motorcyclists of all breeds, be they sport riders or cruiser-mounted bikers.

The state of Iowa requires that all riders be able to show proof of financial responsibility after an accident. That is somewhat unique, since proof does not have to be on hand at the time of an accident, but afterward. The proof does not necessarily have to be in the form of standard motorcycle insurance, it can be a bond filed with the state or one of several other options; however, motorcycle insurance is the least expensive option.

Iowa is an ”at fault” state, which means that, in the wake of an accident, recovery is based on “provable negligence”–basically, this means that the person found to be at fault in the accident–or their insurance company–is responsible for paying the damages to the other party.

Minimum Motorcycle Insurance:  Iowa

Iowa’s mandatory motorcycle insurance laws require that riders have a policy with these minimum limits:

  • $25,000 for death or bodily injury to one person
  • $40,000 for death or bodily injury to two or more persons
  • $15,000 for damage or destruction of property

You can see that these caps are fairly low, as compared to the medical costs and property damage for which you could find yourself responsible in the wake of an accident. What’s more, this is only liability coverage, which will not protect yourself or your bike.

Recommended Motorcycle Coverage

Liability coverage, of course, only covers your financial responsible for damages to other parties in an accident–it does nothing to protect you or your bike. For this, you’ll need additional coverage.

Collision:  this coverage reimburses you for damage to your bike caused by a collision with another vehicle or stationary object, like a tree or fence post.  Without it, you could be out the entire value of your machine if it’s damaged in an accident.

Uninsured Motorist:   at any given time, 9.7 percent of the drivers in Iowa do not have car or motorcycle insurance. Given that you have a near 1-in-10 chance of being involved in an accident with an uninsured driver, you can see why you need this type of coverage. As if worrying about uninsured drivers isn’t enough, you have to be aware of under-insured drivers. An uninsured/under-insured motorist policy protects you in either case.

Comprehensive:  this kicks in where collision leaves off.  It protects your bike in non-collision situations, such as damaged caused by fire, wind, water, theft, or vandalism.

Getting Insured:  Online!

We have an easy to use tool you can use to compare coverage options and rates. All you have to do is enter your zip code and you’ll find reliable companies like Progressive, Geico, Dairyland, and more, who insure riders in your area. Follow this link to get your instant, free, no obligation quotes.

Iowa Rates and Policies

Review Prices and Policies Online

Enter Zip Code

Iowa Motorcycle Law

According to Iowa HF290:

”Motorcycle means every motor vehicle having a saddle or seat for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground and capable of operating at a speed in excess of thirty miles per hour on level ground unassisted by human power including a motor scooter but excluding a tractor and a motorized bicycle.”

Street Legal Motorcycle Equipment:  Iowa

Iowa does have a few crowded urban areas, but for the most part the state is wide open country. Riding opportunities like that are hard to pass up. Whether you are going to be competing with a large amount of traffic or not, your bike needs to be street legal at all times. In Iowa, the equipment you and your bike need to be street legal includes:

  • Eye protection: not required.
  • Handlebar height: no restrictions.
  • Helmet: not required.
  • Mirrors: only one is required.
  • Turn Signals: not required.
  • Passenger Seat and Passenger Footrests: required if carrying a passenger. No restrictions on a passenger’s age.
  • Headlight: required for bikes built after 1976. A modulating daytime headlight can be used.
  • Muffler: required, but there are no acoustical limits.
  • Safety Inspection: not required.