Montana Motorcycle Insurance

Get Coverage Now

Review Rates and Policies Online

Enter Zip Code

Montana is one of only three states that do not require motorcycle insurance. That sounds like a great way to save money, but it could be financially irresponsible to let the coverage on your bike lapse. The main drawback to not having motorcycle insurance in Montana is that the state is an ”at fault” insurance state. So, if you do not have coverage and are at fault in an accident, the other driver can seek damages from you. That could mean a judgment for every penny you have ever saved, a lien against your home, or both.

Let’s have a look at motorcycle insurance issues in Montana, how the state defines a motorcycle for law enforcement and insurance purposes, some of the required equipment to make your bike street legal, as well as the coverage levels and types you may need.

Montana Minimum Motorcycle Insurance

Motorcycle insurance is not required in Montana, but if you opt to purchase coverage, your policy must meet the same minimum levels of coverage as an automobile. They are:

  • $25,000 for death or bodily injury to one person
  • $50,000 for death or bodily injury to two or more persons
  • $10,000 for damage or destruction of property

Of course, this is only liability coverage, which leaves many gaps in protection.  It only covers your liability in the case of an accident.

Recommended Coverage for Montana Riders

The minimum coverage amounts in Montana are among the lowest in the United States. Even a minor accident can eat up most of your limit, so higher amounts are recommended. Besides that, there are other coverage options.

Collision Coverage

This protection covers your bike in an accident under nearly every circumstance. It may or may not include uninsured/under-insured coverage.

Comprehensive Coverage

This protection covers items like fire, wind, water, theft, and vandalism. Basically, most anything that doesn’t result from a collision.

Uninsured/Under-Insured Motorist Coverage

At any given time more than 14 percent of the drivers in Montana do not have car or motorcycle insurance. With that many uninsured drivers you can see why you need this type of coverage. As if worrying about uninsured drivers isn’t enough, you must also be aware of under-insured drivers. An uninsured/under-insured motorist policy protects you in either case.

Custom Parts and Equipment Coverage

If you ride a custom bike, be it a chopper, bobber, cafe racer, or simply a customized Harley or other bike, you might want to look into CPE coverage. We discuss this more in our section on insuring custom bikes.

Reviewing Rates and Options

We have partnered with insurers in your area to help you review rates and policy options online.  Simply enter your zip code to get started.


Get Coverage Now

Review Rates and Policies Online

Enter Zip Code

Montana Motorcycle Laws

In Montana, a motorcycle:

“Has a seat for the operator; has a motor with a rating in excess of 2.7 brake horsepower if the motor is an internal combustion engine or with a capacity of 50 cubic centimeters piston displacement or more.”

Montana Street Legal Motorcycle Requirements

Montana is a state of contrasts. You may find yourself doing the urban crawl through Helena or you may be trying to cover as much open plain under the big sky as possible with little traffic to contend with. Either way, you and your bike must have certain equipment in order to be considered street legal in the Treasure State. That equipment includes:

  • Eye protection: not required.
  • Handlebar height: no restrictions.
  • Helmet: required for riders under age 18.
  • Mirrors: only one is required.
  • Turn Signals: not required.
  • Passenger Seat/Footrest: both are required if carrying a passenger. No restrictions on a passenger’s age.
  • Headlight: required, modulating daytime headlight approved.
  • Muffler: required; acoustic limits set at:

    ”Max A-weighted sound levels based on measurement at 50 feet from closest point to motorcycle; manufactured before 1970—92dBA; manufactured after 1969 but prior to 1973—88dBA; manufactured after 1972 but prior to 1975—86dBA; manufactured after 1974 but prior to 1978—80dBA; manufactured after 1977 but prior to 1988—75dBA; manufactured after 1987–70dBA”

  • Safety Inspection: not required.