Garage94 builds five customs for Vans Korea…
Garage94 is a workshop based in Seoul, Korea, where they specialize in working on vintage and VMX-style motorcycles, which are relatively rare in the country. Previously, we featured their Yamaha SR400 “VMX” and Mirage 250 street tracker builds, and the workshop organizes the annual Camel Race (#카멜레이스) vintage event.
Recently, they were approached by Vans Korea to produce five builds to represent five of the company’s classic shoe models:
“Under the theme of ‘Classic Since Forever,’ Vans Korea envisioned a campaign to shed light on five classical icons: AUTHENTIC, ERA, OLD SKOOL, SLIP-ON, and SK8-HI, which have been produced since the 70s and 80s.”
Today, we’re going to showcase the first three builds in the series — a 1985 Yamaha SR400, 1972 Honda Dax 50, and Honda Ape 100 — which incorporate the symbols, designs, and patterns from the Vans lineup.
All five models are on display this month:
“The exhibition is being held at the Vans Showcase Store in Gangnam, Seoul, during the month of September.”
Below, we talk to boys from Garage94 — Usuk, Mazenta, and Smith — for more details on each build. Stay tuned for the next two builds, coming soon!
Garage94 x Vans Korea: Builder Interview
• How did the Garage94 x Vans project come together? What was the concept, and how did you decide to do 5 bikes?
Under the theme of “Classic Since Forever,” Vans Korea envisioned a campaign to shed light on five classical icons: AUTHENTIC, ERA, OLD SKOOL, SLIP-ON, and SK8-HI, which have been produced since the 70s and 80s.
Garage94 has been steadily working on classic motorcycles, which are rare in Korea, and has been commissioned to produce five bikes to highlight the five classic models of Vans, which are being re-lit. The bikes produced in this way supported the campaign in the form of an exhibition.
*The exhibition is being held at the Vans Showcase Store in Gangnam, Seoul, during the month of September.
• Today, we’re focusing on bikes 1-3. Can you tell us a little about the design concept and custom work of each one?
- This bike is the main model of the CLASSIC SINCE FOREVER project.
- Based on 1985 Yamaha SR400
- Yamaha’s SR is significant as a representative model of the classic bike scene, produced from 1978 to recently without any significant change in appearance.
- Built in VMX style, the main style of Garage94, which we do best.
- We did our best to make a beautiful VMX silhouette, and handmade parts that we thought were unique to VMX style.
- The biggest feature is the high exhaust line, which can be called the symbol of VMX, is reproduced with a guard in the form of a side stripe — the symbol of Vans.
- External parts such as fuel tanks and fenders use original vintage bike parts.
- Taillight case and pedals with VMX’s unique design are made as points.
- Custom sheet designed with Vans’s midsole modification.
- Made a side stripe muffler guard that is like Vans’s symbol.
Honda Dax 50
- Honda’s Dax is maybe the best model for the campaign, CLASSIC SINCE FOREVER.
- After its first release in 1969, it was discontinued until 2000, but it is due to be re-released by Honda in 2023.
- The bike is based on the concept of a Street Chopper, which uses a 1972 Dax frame to allow skateboarders to enjoy their journey to/from the city.
- I tried especially hard to make it interesting for people who are not interested in motorcycles.
- It is also fun to find hidden details everywhere, so I recommend you to enjoy it slowly.
- Manufactured stainless steel full exhaust.
- Sheets with checkerboard patterns.
- Made a sissy bar that can hold a skateboard.
- Much more…
Honda Ape 100
- Vans Korea’s campaign has a special gift, which is this bike.
- Anyone who visits the Gangnam Vans store in Seoul during the event without any special conditions will have a chance to win this bike through a lottery.
- Garage94’s builder Smith, who worked on a total of two bikes, including this Ape (and the Daystar), took the concept of a family look from the beginning of custom planning.
- He expressed the colors of Vans and Garage94 by attempting a “half-play” with custom painting, led by split tanks.
The Ape is for the lottery event; it was produced with a focus on restoration work and Vas’s iKONIC pattern without much custom work.
Follow the Builders
Instagram: @vans_korea / @usuk_garage94 / @mazenta.c__garage94 / @smith_garage94