The Harley-Davidson Sportster has long been one of the world’s most popular bikes for customization. We’re seeing a lot of Sportster scrambler builds these days, but the idea isn’t exactly new. After all, a 1969 XLH scrambler starred in the 1969-70 TV series Then Came Bronson and a custom Sportster, “Harley’s Comet,” finished fourth in the 1986 Baja 1000!
Enter Fran Manen, the mountaineer-turned-builder behind Lord Drake Kustoms, who wanted to create a series of Sportster scramblers that truly stood out from the crowd:
“As always, we have two rules at Lord Drake Kustoms to which we remain loyal: ‘Always make different bikes’ and ‘Nothing is impossible’. These motorcycles are proof of that. We were tired of always seeing the same custom bikes, and especially the same Harley-Davidson scrambler.”
Today we have units 1 and 2 of a limited edition of 10 units that LDK is building out of their Malaga-based workshop, nicknamed the Soulbreaker series. Currently, the first unit (Soulbreaker Green), is circulating the roads of Austria and the second unit (Soulbreaker Red) went to London.
These Sportsters toe the line between show bikes and scramblers, featuring chain drive conversions, DNA brake discs, Fat Daddy 19″/18″ inch spoked wheels, peanut tanks, +3″ rear shocks, and fenders, side covers, seats, and more custom-fabricated by LDK. Says Fran:
“Lord Drake Kustoms ships motorcycles worldwide, so you can order yours right now and choose the colors, numbers or side graphics and some other details of this limited series of 10 units, Only 8 units left!”
- Name: “Soulbreaker”
- Style: Scrambler, Street Tracker
- Brand: Harley-Davidson
- Model: Sportster
- Engine: 883 or 1200 cc
- Transmission: Converted to chain by LDK.
- Foot Controls: Modified by LDK.
- Brakes: DNA brake discs.
- Front Wheel: 19” or 21” Fat Daddy.
- Rear Wheel: 18” Fat Daddy.
- Fuel tank: modified Peanut.
- Front Suspension: Modified by LDK.
- Rear Suspension: Increase +3” Air shock absorbers.
- Front Fender: Manufactured by LDK.
- Rear Fender: Manufactured by LDK.
- Side covers: Manufactured by LDK.
- Seat: Manufactured by LDK.
- Exhaust: 2:1 Vance and Hines (or other options)
- Air Filter: Different options.
- Odometer: Digital incorporated in handlebar support.
- License plate holder: Manufactured by LDK.
- Illumination: Front light, Rear light incorporated into fenders, front turn signals on handlebars, LED rear turn signals on shocks.
- Other modifications: Handlebar, electrical wiring inside the handlebar, grips, handles, gas cap, horn covers, footrests, spark plug wires, spark plug covers, mirrors…